Palace of Fine Arts
The Palace of Fine Arts in the Marina District of San Francisco, California is one of the finest examples of neo-classical style design in the United States. It was originally constructed Originally plaster for the 1915 Panama-Pacific Exposition. The architect Bernard Maybeck borrowed his ideas from ancient Rome and Greece to create a grand structure with a colonnade and rotunda. Following the Exhibition funds were raised for reconstruction with longer lasting materials. It was entirely rebuilt in the 1960's. The reconstructed landmark is made of reinforced concrete from meticulous moulds of the original. The concrete was carefully tinted to reproduce the original colours. Maybeck's signature "Weeping Maiden" sculptural motif is used repetitively to ornament the colonnades flanking the central dome.